Chicken, Lentil and Bone Broth Stew Cook a tasty and senior-friendly meal with this nutritious soup recipe
Chicken, Lentil and Bone Broth Stew Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small strips and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 small carrot, grated
- 2 medium Spanish (yellow) onion, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups rich chicken bone broth, water or vegetable stock
- 425 grams can organic lentils
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- First of all in a heavy bottomed 2 litre pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmery
- Add chicken pieces and cook while stirring until brown and cooked all the way through. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining olive oil, onion, carrot and celery. Cook over medium heat for another 1 minute, or until almost brown. Loosen and soften vegetables by adding a couple of tablespoons of bone broth to the pan. Continue cooking vegetables until soft, adding bone broth if the vegetables start to stick to the pan.
- Add any and all remaining bone broth and garlic and lentils. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, apple cider vinegar and green onions.
- Finally season with sea salt and pepper.
Since nutritional needs change for seniors, cook this soup to make sure they get the vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy. Also if you’re looking for another vegetarian alternative, try this creamy parsnip and cauliflower soup recipe.